Amendment 62 Election Results Analysis
Conventional Wisdom Busted as 30% Oppose ALL Abortion: Conventional wisdom claimed that only 15% of voters in America will support a 100% abortion ban (which Personhood requires, even in saving the mother's life when the need is not to "terminate" but to deliver the baby). CRTL is proving that all the Gallup polls and claims of politicians vastly underestimate how many people are willing to protect every innocent child without exception.
Personhood Vote Grows from 2008 to 2010: The YES vote on Personhood grew to narrow our loss from a 3-to-1 defeat in 2008 to a 2-to-1 defeat in 2010 with now 30% voting YES on a 100% abortion ban and personhood. That encourages us!
Gains Despite Dem Turnout: Significant personhood gains were made even in a heavily Democratic year. "Turnout in Colorado actually swung from +1 GOP in 2008 to +5 Democratic in 2010, a 6-point move," reported The Weekly Standard. So even with a much more hostile electorate (Democrats trend "pro-choice"), personhood gained tens of thousands of additional votes when Colorado's massive grassroots campaign put pro-life educational materials into the hands of hundreds of thousands of voters. For we can reach the hearts and minds of our fellow human beings with the power and simplicity of the personhood message that from their biological beginning every person has the God-given right to life.
Gains Despite Pro-life Opposition: The triumvirate of pro-life opposition to fighting for personhood in Colorado comes from Focus on the Family, "National" Right To Life, and the Roman Catholic Archbishops. These groups are working to kill personhood bills and oppose personhood amendments in states across America (just a couple 2011 examples: Louisiana in 2011, Mississippi). The truth eventually wins, regardless of which leaders or groups oppose it. Yet in Colorado, we might win sooner if only these "pro-family" organizations will stop opposing the effort to compel the government to enforce each child's right to life, and actually begin advocating for enforcement of the God-given right to life, something that all of these groups currently refuse to do. The pro-life industry opposes personhood based on:
- long-answered objections and worn-out cliches, and based on
- a self-defeating insistence on waiting till the U.S. Supreme Court is ready (which history shows could take centuries)
- a lack of courage and willingness to educate the leaders and the people on the God-given right to life of every child.
Instead, the pro-life industry has raised hundreds of millions of dollars promoting child-killing regulations while supporting politicians who have exceptions (meaning that they oppose the dismembering of only some children). For these reasons, Colorado RTL is not affiliated with "National" but with "American" Right To Life, the pro-personhood national organization.
The Denver Post's 3-to-1 Headline is Wrong; Should be 2-to 1: The personhood loss in 2008 was closer to 3-to-1. But the increase in the personhood Yes votes in 2010 closed the gap to close to a 2-to-1 ratio. Yet Electa Draper and the Denver Post have refused to correct the following false headline they ran:
(See simple spreadsheet below showing the Post's math error.)
Join Us: in praying for the wisdom and resources to build on this increase the Lord has given us. Another way of looking at our growth from 2008 to 2010 is that we saw a ten percent increase in those who voted Yes! Please pray with us and work with us now so that we can reach even more people so that together we will protect every child by love and by law.
Regarding Ken Buck's Close Loss: After breaking every pro-life campaign promise he made including by saying that he would confirm pro-choice judges if elected, Republican U.S. Senate candidate Ken Buck told the Amendment 62 proponents, "I'm not going to cater to personhood for 2% of the vote."
Colorado RTL needs YOU to be a wise and effective protector of the innocent! So please if you can, sign up for the Right To Life Education program at ARTL and get a 40-year pro-life education in only 40 days!
CRTL THANK YOU TO:
- our co-sponsor Personhood Colorado and Gualberto Garcia Jones
- our campaign director Personhood USA's Keith Mason
- our supporters, volunteers, and prayer warriors
- the hundreds of churches that honored God by not remaining silent
- Tim Wildmon and American Family Association, Pam Tebow, Jo Tolk of Human Life Alliance, Holocaust survivor Martin Small for his encouragement and signature on Keith's 2008 personhood petition, American RTL, California personhood proponents Walter and Lori Hoye and Lila Rose and Live Action Films, Georgetown University's Professor Dr. Dianne Irving, Pastor Ron Fox, Biff Gore, Bishop Phillip Porter, Joni Eareckson Tada, American Life League, Chet Gallagher Personhood Nevada, Oregon's Drew Hymer, Operation Rescue National's Flip Benham, Human Life International's Rev. Tom Euteneuer, Life Dynamic's Mark Crutcher who also produced Maafa 21, Prolife Unity, and all the 40 state personhood affiliates! We also thank the personhood attorneys including Richard Thompson, Robert Muise and Brian Rooney at the Thomas More Law Center, David Gibbs III at Christian Law Association, Rita Dunaway at the Rutherford Institute, Mat Staver at Liberty Counsel, and James Odom, former Focus on the Family staff attorney who has done work for us at Colorado RTL and who is now working for our dear friends at Personhood Missouri, Professor Emeritus Charles Rice from Notre Dame, Law & Order's Michael Moriarty, Mardel's Christian Bookstore, KLTT AM 760, KNUS AM 710 and John Archibold, a founder of National Right To Life (who eventually resign in protest over that organization's anti-personhood efforts) and also a founder of the first right to life group in the nation, our own Colorado RTL, thank you John! And thanks to so many other groups and leaders, and to the scores of candidates, politicians and governing officials for their endorsements including from Mike Huckabee, Mike Coffman, Judge Roy Moore, and Ambassador Alan Keyes.
- And we most want to thank our Lord Jesus Christ, our God, Creator, and Risen Savior!
Personhood Colorado Press Release:
Colorado’s Personhood Amendment, Amendment 62, showed a gain over the 2008 attempt, and organizers are already mounting a campaign to try again.
The opposition to Amendment 62 was funded primarily by billion dollar abortion profiteer Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood’s No on 62 campaign and abortionist Richard Grossman used outright lies to scare women, including that women’s eggs would have rights.
“Planned Parenthood has been fighting against us to protect their profit, we are fighting for Personhood to protect innocent lives,” pointed out Leslie Hanks, co-sponsor of Amendment 62. “We look at this gain over 2008 as a victory – despite terrible adversity, and outrageous lies against us, we still gained in the polls, and babies’ lived were saved. Each of those lives saved is priceless.”
Out of several dozen pro-life initiatives, only two were ever attempted more than once, including Colorado’s Personhood amendments. In only two years the Personhood movement has exploded nationwide, saving babies and changing hearts and minds through education and outreach, even while a continual effort is made to Constitutionally recognize the Personhood rights of every innocent human being, state by state.From 1890 to 1918, women in South Dakota attempted many times to gain the right to vote. Their constitutional amendments failed to pass six times before they succeeded. Movements take time to build, but that persistence in the initiative process pays out huge dividends.
“We take from this example that we must not, and will not, ever stop trying to protect every human being in the state of Colorado. We will continue until we succeed,” stated Gualberto Garcia-Jones, co-sponsor of Amendment 62. “The truth of the baby’s God-given right to life is growing in Colorado. We will never give up, no matter how long it takes.”
Personhood Colorado is determined to make another personhood attempt in the near future. “Matthew 25:45 says, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me,’ “ added Keith Mason, co-founder of Personhood USA. “The ‘least of these’, the smallest and most defenseless among us, are the only human beings in our country who are considered to be non-persons – they are treated like property. When the personhood amendment returns to Colorado, we will continue to defend the innocent, fighting the lies of Planned Parenthood, who profits from the killing of innocent human beings.”
Final Thoughts on Results: Regarding influence on voter turnout, Colorado Republicans came out in 2008 in greater numbers than did the Democrats even though that was a landslide year for Barack Obama, providing evidence that Personhood motivates more Republicans (who tend to be pro-life) to get to the polls to vote YES than it motivates Democrats (who tend to be "pro-choice") to go to the polls to vote in opposition. And in Colorado in 2010 the repressed Republican and increased Democratic turnouts resulted:
- from aggressive public school and union opposition to three other ballot initiatives (60, 61, & 63), and
- from the Republican U.S. Senate candidate who recanted his pro-life pledges, and
- from a Republican gubernatorial fiasco where the head of the ticket lost support from much of the party base.
During Colorado's 2008 and 2010 personhood campaigns, babies were saved, hearts were changed, and the culture, albeit kicking and screaming, is being changed. And please pray for passage in November 2011 of Personhood Mississippi's Amendment 26!